If you regularly work with images, you’re probably familiar with Canva. It’s one of the most popular graphic design tools today. If you want to leave a watermark on your photo, design material for a company, or you simply feel inspired to create something for yourself, you can make your image stand out by adding layers to it. Keep reading this article, and you’ll learn how to make a background transparent in Canva and add a professional touch to your photos with just a few clicks.
Canva How to Make Background Transparent?
- 1 Canva How to Make Background Transparent?
- 2 Why Would You Need a Transparent Background?
- 3 How to Make a Transparent Background in Canva?
- 4 How to Make the Background of an Image Transparent in Canva?
- 5 How to Make an Object Transparent in Canva?
- 6 How to Use an Image With Transparent Background in Canva?
- 7 Benefits of Playing With Transparency
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions
- 9 What’s the Difference Between Transparent Background and White Background in Canva?
- 10 Download Designs With Transparent Backgrounds
- 11 Design Like a Pro With Canva
With a transparent background, you can combine different images and designs. You can create a professional-looking image in a few easy steps. Canva allows you to play with transparency levels to make your work unique and eye-catching.
Why Would You Need a Transparent Background?
Whether you’re designing an image for yourself or somebody else, a transparent background will help you stand out from the crowd. Your image won’t look cluttered and messy, but professional and attractive.
By adding transparency to your background, you’re able to emphasize and draw attention to different parts of the image.
How to Make a Transparent Background in Canva?
Canva offers a free version you can use to design anything you want and has various free templates for you to try out. However, if you want to make a transparent background in Canva, you’ll have to pay for it.
You can choose between Canva Pro or Canva Enterprise. Canva Pro is for teams that work on growing and expanding a business. You can use it for free for the first 30 days, but after that, you have to purchase a subscription. Canva Enterprise is for large organizations with a minimum of 20 users. You can request a demo on Canva’s website to check it out.
Let’s go back to the steps on how to make a transparent background:
- Make sure you are logged in to your Canva account.
- Choose the image you want to work on.
- Now you need to remove the background layer or color of your image. Tap “Effect” at the top corner of your toolbar. Tap “Background remover.” Now that you’ve removed the background layer, you can make your design transparent.
- Tap the download icon at the top-right corner.
- You should now choose the file type of your image. Make sure “PNG” is selected, otherwise you won’t be able to have a transparent background.
- Under “Pro options,” you’ll see a checkbox next to “Transparent background.” Mark the checkbox. If you don’t, your image will have a white background.
- Tap “Download.”
How to Make the Background of an Image Transparent in Canva?
Even though they sound so similar, making the background of an image transparent and making the background transparent is not the same. In this case, you’re adjusting the background of your image, usually to make your text stand out in the front.
- Open Canva
- Choose the image you want to work on
- Tap on the background image
- Tap the checkerboard icon at the top-right corner of the image. That’s the transparency button. You’ll see a slider going from 0 to 100.
- Drag the slider according to your preferences. If you want to increase transparency, drag it towards 0. If you want to increase opacity, drag it towards 100.
- Tap “Download.”
How to Make an Object Transparent in Canva?
If you’re combining more images into one or adding a text box to an image, you’re likely to make at least one of them transparent to create a better effect. Here is how you can do this:
- Select the image or text box you want to make transparent.
- You’ll see a menu pop up next to the image. On the right of the menu, you’ll see an arrow, and by tapping it, you’ll have access to additional options. Tap “Transparency.”
- Adjust the transparency slider.
- Now that you’ve set the transparency level of your object, you can continue working on your design or download it.
How to Use an Image With Transparent Background in Canva?
Once you’ve set a transparent background to your image, you can use it to layer it over other images. If you’re creating a company logo or adding a watermark to your design, you’ll often use it. Upload the image back to Canva and attach it on top of an image or design of your preference.
Benefits of Playing With Transparency
Creating and using an image with a transparent background can have multiple beneficial effects:
- You’re simplifying a background where there’s a lot going on – A background that stands out can be very effective, but it can often look cluttered and make your text unreadable. In this case, you can decide to make the background of your image transparent to make the text pop up.
- Emphasize text – You can add more than one background layer and adjust transparency levels to make the text more visible. Playing with colors and levels of brightness, along with transparency, can do wonders for your design.
- Create a clean, minimalist design – Adding transparency to the background of your image can give a sense of simplicity to your designs. If the layout isn’t “busy” and the text is clear, you can achieve a minimalist style of the image. Depending on the topic of your design, this can be a great tool when your designs revolve around nature, light, sun, etc.
- Draw attention to certain parts of your design – By playing with layers and transparency, you can turn your viewers’ attention to a particular part of your design. You can create windows, cutouts or add transparent objects for your viewers to look through. Adding different colors, shapes, and brightness will also make your design stand out from the crowd.
- Add textures to your design – You can play with different textures while adjusting the level of transparency of your design. This will help you achieve a great visual effect and attract viewers.
- Add color with transparency – Adding transparency to your design allows you to play with colors, too. You can add a gradient background that emphasizes a text or an object, bold colors to draw attention, or combine different colors.
- Add different blending effects – You can have a sharp edge between transparent and non-transparent objects, a soft transition between the two, or different transparency levels of objects.
- Branding with designs – You can set a style for a brand by using a specific level of transparency for multiple designs. This will make the brand easily recognizable.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the Difference Between Transparent Background and White Background in Canva?
Although they make look the same across different applications, a white background on your image will pop up if you try to layer it over another one. This can often be distracting (unless the other image is also white). If you’re adding a company logo or a watermark to your design, it’s best to have a transparent background. That way, your logo/watermark will still be noticeable, but it won’t draw too much attention.
Tip: When you’re downloading a design and you want a transparent background, always make sure the “Transparent background” checkbox is marked. If not, your image will be saved with a white background, and if you’re in a hurry, you might not notice it. So, make sure the checkbox is always marked, and always double-check your work before submitting it.
Download Designs With Transparent Backgrounds
Canva offers thousands of free or paid designs with transparent backgrounds you can add to your own design and download. If you want to try out some of the templates, follow these steps:
1. Open Canva.
2. Tap the search bar on the left-hand side.
3. Type what you’re looking for or browse through designs.
4. Tap the design you like.
5. Tap “Download” at the top-right corner.
6. Under “File Type,” make sure PNG is selected.
7. Make sure the checkbox next to “Transparent background” is marked.
8. Tap “Download.”
Design Like a Pro With Canva
Now you’ve learned how to make backgrounds transparent in Canva. It’s a simple tool that can make your designs pop. If you want to add layers to your designs, create a company logo, add a watermark, and much more, Canva will be a great fit for you. With just a few clicks, you’ll be able to create a design that will stand out from the crowd.
Do you often use Canva? How frequently do you use the transparency feature to make your design interesting? Tell us in the comment section below.